Friday, November 16, 2012

Unrequired Reading: Diary + Duma Key

Hello. I'm gonna start posting my recommended readings here in my blog. They're not exactly reviews. The idea is if you want to find your way around the vast landscape of printed literature, then I can be your gofer guy.

For no particular reason, my first recommendations are:


Both novels involve artists haunted by their art. I want to juxtapose these two narratives not as contrasting stories, but as complimenting each other. In Palahniuk's DIARY, we explore the sublime effect of art. In King's Duma Key, we look at art as the reflection of reality (and vice versa, perhaps). Both novels can be classified in the horror genre. Not the Hollywood kind, or the Asian "creepy dead girls haunting living girls" sort. These two go for the kind of horror that haunts inside your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment